Carrot Cake Oats
2 servings; Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar Free
- 1 small apple shredded (without core)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 tsps honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Optional toppings: Shredded coconut, pecans, walnuts, raisins, etc.
In a saucepan on medium-low heat, combine shredded apples, carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and almond milk. Bring to a simmer and let cook until apples and carrots are soft. Whisking occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom! I use the trader joe’s refrigerated Unsweetened Almond Beverage (pink carton). Once apples and carrots have softened, add in oats and ground flax seeds. Whisk until thickened. Add in molasses, honey, and vanilla (if using).
Lastly, whisk in coconut oil (or butter) to make these oats so creamy and filling. Serve warm with toppings!
This makes great leftovers, just store in containers in the fridge once cooled and reheat when ready to eat!